We share your personal data with, and receiving your personal data from, credit reference agencies in order to help us maintain up-to-date customer records, manage our customer debt risk, and feed information into our debt collection process.
Information that we give and receive from credit reference agencies includes:
- information about your personal accounts with us and about your accounts with other organisations such as other utility companies;
- information about your spouses or partners with whom you are jointly liable for credit payments; and
- where you are the owner, director or partner in a small business, information about your business.
In addition, credit reference agencies may provide us with public information about you such as County Court Judgments, bankruptcies and Electoral Register Information.
How do we use the information we receive?
The information we receive from credit reference agencies may be used in the following ways:
- to assess your account and decide what payment terms are appropriate
- to verify your identity
- To manage your personal account
- To maintain up-to-date customer records
- To manage our customer debt risk and our debt collection process
- To undertake periodic statistical analysis or testing to ensure the accuracy of existing and future products and services
If you owe us money and do not repay in accordance with our payment terms, we will notify you of our intention to file a default. If your bill remains unpaid then we will notify our credit reference agency. This could result in your credit rating being negatively impacted.