Working for us
We're the UK's largest water provider, with over 15 million customers to serve every day. Our main role is to ensure customers can turn on the tap and get world class drinking water 24/7. We also safely transport and treat waste, returning it back to the environment. We're always keen to have proactive and enthusiastic employees that can help us deliver excellent service at all times. From technician roles to customer service rep positions, there's a whole range of jobs to suit all experiences and preference.
Respecting and valuing everyone
People are at the heart of our business. We value the unique skills, experiences and backgrounds that each individual brings. Our ongoing commitment to a great, inclusive workplace enables us to attract and retain diverse talent representative of our communities. Our people help us to deliver life’s essential service so that our customers, communities and the environment can thrive.
We’re proud to be the first water company ever to be awarded Disability Confident Leader status. We've jumped over 100 places in the most recent Stonewall workplace equality (LGBT+) index to rank 189th. We're continuing to make good progress with 15% BAME employees and a year-on-year increase in BAME managers and leaders. We are also signatories of the Race at work charter and co-founders of the Race Equity and Cultural Harmony Employers Network.
Each year we have seen a decrease in our gender pay gap. We partner with both Women in Science and Engineering and the Women's Utilities Network to help us attract and retain female talent. We were delighted to win the ENEI (Employers Network for Equality and Inclusion) 2020 award for impact through innovation. This award recognised our inclusion cards, which enable open and honest conversations. The purpose of the cards is to help break down any barriers and ensure inclusive attitudes and behaviours.
Our support for the Armed Forces community is demonstrated through the Employer Recognition Scheme. We employ Reservists, Service Leavers, Armed Forces Veterans, Cadet Instructors and military spouses/ partners. For more information, please email our team.
We have a number of diversity and inclusion employee networks. They support us in building an inclusive culture and working environment where people feel comfortable to bring their whole selves to work and perform to their best, ultimately delivering a great service for our customers. Our networks are highlighted below along with some of the activities they typically lead on:
- Our BAME network helps us attract and progress talent from different backgrounds and ethnicities, inspiring people to consider a career with us. The network also facilitates our #explainorchange mentoring circles to encourage job seekers in our community into work.
- Our DisAbility Confident network provides support and recommendations for accessible services for our customers and employees. The network facilitates work experience, organises education or training, and raises awareness of visible and non-visible disabilities. This is part of our award winning GSAS (Give Someone a Start) scheme.
- Our LGBT+ and Allies network helps create a safe, inclusive place to work through support and ongoing campaigns like #nobystanders. The network attends annual Pride events, raising awareness whilst promoting water efficiency and hydrating customers through our free water station.
- Our Women’s network helps us to create balance for better. The network organises career development workshops, mentoring and networking events. They were also key in helping shape our revised and enhanced family leave policies.
- Our multi-faith networks include Christians in Thames, Hindu, Judaism, Peace and Sikh networks. They work together to raise awareness and fundraise, contributing food and supporting charities to provide shelter for those in need.
We're members of the Energy and Utility Skills Diversity and Inclusion (D&I) forum and co-collaborated on the sector inclusion commitment. We're also members of the Mayors D&I Infrastructure Network. We regularly share best practice and use learnings from others to help ensure Thames Water is a diverse and inclusive place to work.
To request support during your application, please email us.
Our return to work programme
We know going back to work after a career break can be tough and want to support those returning to work after an extended period. We have a number of opportunities ranging from entry level roles, to specialist, qualified and managerial positions. To find out more about how we can support you back into the workplace, please email us or call 0118 952 0101.
If you're ready to return to work and already know what you'd like to do, we can help guide you to the right role, or if you'd like support with writing your CV, how to perform well at interviews and careers advice, the team can help guide you through the process.
We're also offering a mentoring programme to support you back into the world of work, to help you get to know us and network with other like-minded individuals.
Search our opportunities
From helping our customers pay their bill, to laying pipes and detecting leaks, we’re happy to support our customers 24/7. We’re looking for motivated and passionate people to join our growing team and help us achieve our vision. Search through our current vacancies and apply for your next role today!Search our latest roles
Everyone who joins the Thames Water family needs to complete our pre-employment screening before starting their new role. We work with a trusted partner to perform the screening process. When you apply for a job, we’ll ask for your consent to share your details with them if we make you an offer.
The information we’ll need from you varies depending on the role you’ve been hired for. These are some of the things we might check:
- Your right to work in the UK.
- Five years of references.
- Criminal record and DBS.
- Global sanctions.
- Your credit rating.
- Essential qualifications and memberships.
- DVLA information.
This can take time so it’s helpful if you can get your information and documents ready in advance. The sooner we can complete your pre-employment screening, the sooner you can join us.
We take your privacy, and the protection of your data, very seriously. See our full data protection statement.
Contacting our resourcing team directly
Our recruitment team is happy to help with any questions you may have at any point in your application process. Feel free to email our resourcing team or call them on 0118 952 0101. Our lines are open from 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.
Follow us on LinkedIn for regular updates on any new positions we may have.