Top of main content

Confirming mains designs

Whether you design your mains layout, or we do, our self-lay agreement and guidance help to ensure you connect properly and that you get paid for your work.

Please see this template copy of our adoption agreement, sometimes called a self-lay agreement.

If you design the mains layout

If you want to design for yourself, please read the guidelines and complete the application for a point of connection for a self-laid main. We’ve produced this guidance to reflect edition 3.1 of the national ‘Code of Practice for the Self-laying of Water Mains and Services – England and Wales’.

Once you’ve completed your application to design, we recommend having a look at the range of drawings below that clearly demonstrate how to construct a mains connection to our standard.

If we design the mains layout

Alternatively, if you’d prefer that we do the design, please apply for a mains connection. Once you’ve applied, you’ll receive an offer letter advising you how much we will pay you for doing the work. This is known as the ‘asset payment’ which includes how much the developer needs to pay for the new pipe which we lay up to the development called the ‘source of water’.

As soon as the Self-Lay Agreement is returned to us we will authorise funding and start planning our part of the work, so the source of water also known as the spur connection is ready for your self-laid main.


If you're redeveloping a site, you may want to permanently disconnect the existing water supply. Read more about disconnections.

Diversions and abandonments

As part of your development, we may need to divert or abandon an existing water main, district meter pillar or even fire hydrant before you can start work. Like choosing a Self-lay provider or conducting the work yourself, you’ll also be able to choose who does the diversion- suiting your needs and timescales. Read more about diversions and abandonments, as well as applying to divert or abandon supplies.

If you’re planning development and need water for your building work, find out what you need to do and how to apply and pay for your water used in building your development.