When pipes freeze, they are more likely to expand and burst. Follow our top tips for protecting your pipes this winter.
Watch what to do if your pipes freeze
- Turn off your inside stop tap. It might be under the kitchen sink, in an airing cupboard or under floorboards near the front door. If you're unsure how to locate or use your inside stop tap, watch our helpful video
- Check visible pipes for damage. If you find which pipe is frozen you can gently warm it up
- Turn on nearby cold taps (keep the stop tap turned off) this will relieve pressure on the frozen pipe
- Use a hairdryer at its lowest setting or a hot water bottle wrapped in a tea towel to gently warm the pipe. Warm along the pipe starting at the end nearest the tap
- Protect or remove anything which might be damaged if the pipe bursts when thawed