Far more than just a reservoir, Farmoor is a unique habitat for wildlife and a dream destination for anglers and sailors. There are three nature reserves, offering the chance to spot a wide variety of wildlife. Why not:
- Visit one of our bird hides to glimpse nature in all its glory
- Spend the day trout fishing
- Take a stroll along the easy access route around the reservoir, perfect for buggies and wheelchairs
- Stop at the waterside café for a bite to eat and enjoy amazing views
- Enjoy a stroll along our countryside walk
What to see
Whenever you visit, the nature on display at Farmoor won’t disappoint. January brings teal, water rail and little egret, who can often be seen enjoying the wetland, April sees ospreys wheeling across the water in search of fish, in the warm summer months swifts and swallows take to the skies - showing off their diving skills. In the evenings, it's possible to spot several species of bats that come out to feed.
Try out the bird hides to see if you can spot some of our shyest visitors. Or take a relaxing walk around the site. The summer is a hive of activity and you'll be surrounded by the humming and buzzing of dragonflies, bees, and butterflies.
Things to do
Get closer to nature
There are areas perfect for nesting birds and others popular for dragonflies who lay their eggs in one of the many ponds.
Enjoy excellent angling
Pit your wits against some of the toughest and, we think, tastiest trout in the UK. Blue, brown and rainbow trout – all yours for the catching.
Take to the water
Why not book a free taster session with one of our partners and see where the wind takes you?
Good to know
8am to 7.30pm (March - April)
8am to 9pm (May)
8am to 10pm (June - July)
8am to 9pm (August)
8am to 7.30pm (September - October)
8am to 5pm (November to February)
The site is closed on Christmas and Boxing day.
- Dogs are only allowed on the countryside walk
- Wheelchair and pushchair accessible route around the reservoir
- Stop at the Waterside Café for a bite to eat with amazing reservoir views (subject to Oxford Sailing club requirements)
- There are nine toilet blocks including three with disabled access.
- To be respectful to our neighbours when visiting our site, please only park in our main car park at Gate 3.
Farmoor partners with
How to find us
Farmoor Reservoir, Cumnor Road, Oxford, OX2 9NS