Top of main content

Business loss of profits policy statement

We work hard to make sure we provide you with the best service we can. This involves carrying out works in the public highway to install, maintain, repair and replace our water mains and sewers.

We do everything we can to minimise any disruption when this takes place but realise that sometimes your business may be unavoidably affected. If so, you’re entitled to claim compensation*1 from us.

In this policy

This page outlines our approach to business compensation claims (including dispute resolution) in the event of disruption - as a result of our work. It doesn’t cover our approach to any other claim such as claims for loss of water supply or interruption to wastewater services*2.

Our promise to you

  • We’ll take all reasonable steps to minimise any disruption caused by public highway works, including liaising with affected businesses.
  • We’ll assess all compensation claims thoroughly as outlined below
  • All information you provide is treated in confidence, except where we’re required by law to disclose it to third parties.
  • We’ll explain the claims process to you and help you make the claim if required.
  • If you’re not satisfied with our offer of compensation we offer and want to refer the matter to arbitration, we’ll work with you to agree on an arbitrator. The process is described below.
  • We will inform your retailer of the claim.

You can also choose to use a third party*3 to help you make your claim. If this is the case:

  • We’ll assess your claim the same whether you use a third party to help you make your claim or whether you make it directly to us.
  • We’ll need your written confirmation that your representative can act on your behalf.
  • We’ll send all correspondence to you as well as your representative.
  • We’ll send any compensation directly to you as a cheque.
  • Representatives will charge a fee. If we accept your claim we’ll reimburse your representative for reasonable fees incurred in line with our fee scale as detailed in our claims form.
  • If your representative charges a higher fee than the Thames Water fees scale, you may be responsible for payment of any shortfall as their client.

Making a claim

Making a claim is a straightforward process. Here’s what you need to know and do.

*1Schedule 12(1) of the Water Industry Act 1991

*2You can find out more about these other types of claims by looking on our website, or by contacting us on 0800 980 8800.

*3Your accountant may be best placed to assist you as they will be familiar with your business and will be able to provide the financial detail needed to support your claim.

*4Schedule 12(1.3) of the Water Industry Act 1991