Sewers are only designed to take the water from your toilets, sinks, baths and showers along with human waste and toilet tissue.
Everything else should be put in the bin.
Blockages are usually caused by:
- Fat, oil and food leftover from cooking that congeals in pipes setting hard
- Wipes – even ones that say ‘flushable’ don’t break down and block pipes.
- Sanitary items (e.g. towels and tampons).
Top tips to keep your drains flowing
- Bin it – don’t block it: Wrap up sanitary items, nappies, wipes and condoms and put them in the bin
- Leave leftover cooking oil, fat and food to cool and put it in the bin
- Chemicals, solvents, engine oil and paint should be taken to your local refuse or recycling site
- Medicines, tablets, syringes and needles should be taken to your pharmacist, hospital or health authority for safe disposal.