We repair and clean the pipes that carry waste water from your street to our treatment works. Property owners are responsible for the pipes in the homes and the ones connecting to our sewers.
Who is responsible?
A typical property connected to the sewer. We are responsible for blockages in the main sewer pipe (pink) and customers are responsible for the pipes up to the property boundary (green).
Semi-detached or terraced
In some cases you might share a pipe with your neighbour. In that case we are responsible for the shared section (pink) and homeowners are responsible for their own connecting pipes (green).
If you live in a block of flats, we are responsible for pipes from the property boundary (pink) and management company or owners are responsible for internal and connecting pipes (green).
A brief summary
It may be the property owner’s responsibility if:
- Only one home is experiencing problems
- The property doesn’t share a drain with any other property
- There is no other flooding in the local area.
- The problem is outside your property boundary
- More than one property is experiencing problems
How we can help?
When you call us to report a blockage, we’ll let you know when we will be able to get to you. Depending on the severity of the blockage, this could range from one to 24 hours.
If we find a blockage is within our pipes, we will clear it for free.
When we come out to look at a blockage:
- We will confirm if the pipe belongs to us
- If the blockage is in your pipe, we may be able to offer a private blockage clearance service. This involves an engineer spending up to an hour investigating and clearing a blockage.
- The work is guaranteed for seven days, unless there is evidence of misuse.
If you think there is a blockage or if your property has been flooded by our public sewer, please call us on 0800 316 9800 and one of our team will be here to help, 24 hours a day.
Textphone service for the deaf or hard of hearing
This service is available for customers who are deaf or hard of hearing. Please note, voice calls or mobile numbers aren’t accepted via this number: 0800 316 9898.
Available 24 hours a day.