Getting a standpipe
We allow licensed commercial customers to remove water from standpipes for building, road cleaning, graffiti removal or landscaping work. To use a standpipe on our network, you must have a licence, and hire a metered standpipe from our service provider, Aquam.
Each licence is allocated to a specific standpipe and you must have both to use water from our network. Licences are not transferable.
You can apply for a licence to cover daily, monthly or annual usage. Licence charges are payable in advance and depend on:
- Estimated daily use.
- The size of the standpipe.
- The period for which the licence is required.
All charges are calculated on an application for a licence.
We want to protect our network and ensure that only standpipes meeting the required legal standard are used so customers don’t have to purchase or rent their own.
Aquam has offices in Uxbridge. You can either collect and return from there, or they deliver and collect for an additional cost.
Standpipe hire and licence charges can be found on Aquam’s website.
- Only metered standpipes issued by Aquam will be authorised to be connected to our network.
- Annual standpipe rental is payable in advance. Monthly and daily rental is invoiced retrospectively.
- All standpipes are fitted with a backflow prevention device in the form of a BS6282 double check valve.
- Water from a standpipe should not be consumed or used in food preparation.
- All fire hydrants in public streets and highways are our responsibility.
- Please report to Aquam on 0844 381 4909 if you have faulty or leaking equipment.
- If you're found using an unauthorised standpipe, we reserve the right to charge a retrospective licence fee for that usage or the offence may be considered for prosecution.
- We reserve the right to tell you not to use any specified hydrants due to operational needs or in the event of a drought.
- Fire services have direct access to fire hydrants/standpipes and can use them free of charge for firefighting and training purposes.