Top of main content

Our regulators

We work closely with all our regulators. Together we ensure we're providing the best customer service and water quality. Learn more about our regulators, including the Environmental Agency, English Heritage and Ofwat.

Water Services Regulation Authority- Ofwat

The Water Services Regulation Authority (Ofwat) is the economic regulator of the water and sewerage industry in England and Wales. Ofwat sets the limit on how much water companies can charge their customers. They aim to protect consumers with value for money and protect the standard of service customers receive from their supplier.

Their main duties include protecting the interests of consumers and securing the long-term resilience of water supply and wastewater systems. They ensure water companies finance and conduct their functions effectively.

Using population as a driver of retail costs

This report assesses population as a driver of household retail operating costs. It shows that the population, over a shorter period of time, is a robust driver in some models of such costs. In the light of the report’s findings, we encourage Ofwat to include population in the mix of drivers it has regard to in developing its household retail models.

Calculating the default on payments of water bills

This report explores options available for modelling the propensity to default on the payment of water bills in retail models. There is broad agreement that this calculation concerns a key driver of bad debt and that a measure of this calculation should be included in bad debt models. Frontier assessed the merits of the three measures considered by Ofwat, identifying the default rate as a suitable short-term measure whilst warning against income deprivation.

The Drinking Water Inspectorate

The Drinking Water Inspectorate (DWI) acts on behalf of the Secretary of State for the Department of Environment, Food and Rural Areas (DEFRA) and the National Assembly for Wales. Their role is to assess the wholesomeness of water supplies. The DWI regulates the quality of the drinking water we supply and ensures its safety and compliance with Water Quality Regulations. This is completed by reviewing tests we conduct on our drinking water and examining water quality and treatment, as well as carrying out inspections on water companies as and when required.

Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs DEFRA

DEFRA is the UK government department responsible for safeguarding our natural environment, supporting the food and farming industry and rural economy. They are supported by 35 agencies and public bodies responsible for setting policies and regulations on environmental, food and rural issues. They aim to support the food, farming and fisheries industries by enhancing the environment and better protection against flooding, disease and other natural threats. DEFRA sets the overall water and sewerage policy framework in England including setting standards and drafting legislation.

Working with the Environment Agency

The Environment Agency (EA) is a non-departmental public body which is the principal adviser to the government. It's the main body set up to protect and improve the environment in England and Wales. The EA seeks to maintain and improve the quality of raw water in England and Wales and is responsible for issuing water companies with abstraction licenses. They also work with other organisations to reduce flood risk, promote sustainable development and secure environmental and social benefits.

Working with Natural England

Natural England is a non-departmental public body in the UK, sponsored by Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs. They’re responsible for ensuring England’s natural environment, including its land, freshwater and marine environments are protected and improved.

Collaborating with the Health Protection Agency

We work with the Health Protection Agency (HPA), who provide us with support and advice in safeguarding public health. The HPA contains 39 Health Protection Units (HPUs) which are divided across the country. We work closely with HPUs when an incident is reported to protect and inform the public, especially vulnerable groups.

Environmental Health Officers

Your local authority is also involved in water quality via its teams of Environmental Health Officers, or EHOs. They have a local responsibility to ensure many aspects of the environment are not harmful to public health. If you’re concerned about water quality in your area, contact your local authority for further details on environmental health issues.

Consumer Council for Water

The Consumer Council for Water (CCW) is an independent body that represents customers’ interests relating to price, service and value for money. They also conduct independent research and investigate customers’ complaints relating to water quality.