Bogus callers may try to enter your home by pretending to be from your water, electric, gas or phone company.
To prevent this, we operate a doorstep password scheme for all our customers. We often seek guidance from the UK water industry to make sure we’re doing all we can to protect you.
How to register with our doorstep password scheme
Call us on 0800 316 9800. Lines are open 24/7. When you register, you’ll be asked to provide your name and address. You’ll then be asked to choose a password no longer than eight characters long.
If your hearing or speech is impaired, you can contact us using Relay UK.
What happens when I register?
Once you’ve registered, any callers from Thames Water must be able to quote your password before you let them in.
If they can't give you the correct password or they ask what it is, please stop them entering your property. Call us straight away on 0800 316 9800.
Tips for stopping bogus callers
- If you’re not expecting a visit and you’re unsure, don’t answer the door
- Always confirm the caller's name and which company they’re from.
- Always ask to see their ID card. Send them away if they don’t have one.
- Look for a company van or car with a logo.
- To double check their details, ask them to wait in their car while you call the company they're from. If that’s us, call us on 0800 316 9800.
Learn more about bogus callers from Age UK. They have lots of tips for protecting yourself against bogus callers. They also have advice on what to do if you think you’ve been scammed. Scammers are always finding new ways to trick people, and it can happen to anyone. If you've been the victim of a scam, don't be embarrassed to report it.