Top of main content

New mains or connections

If your development includes building new roads, or there's no existing water main to connect to, you’ll need to apply for a new water main and new water connections.

This work can either be carried out by us or by self-lay providers.

Self-lay providers

If you need new water pipes, we want you to choose the installer that best suits your site needs and timescales, which might not be us. Independent 'self-lay providers' (SLPs) may better suit your project timetable and some can install multiple utilities. SLPs receive the same service from us as all other jobs, and they're accredited to all the standards required for us to adopt the pipework at completion.

You can find SLPs to contact for competitive quotes on the Lloyd's Register website.

Read more information on self laying mains and services.

Thames Water

If you’d like us to complete the work for you, please complete the application form and email it to

Download new mains or connections application