Top of main content

Water for building works

All water used during building works need to be paid for. Before starting construction, you’ll need a Thames Water approved meter fitted to your building water supply so that all water used during the building works is recorded. 

If construction has already started, then payment will be based on the contract value of the works.

  • If works start before, we’ve been told, we’ll base charges on 0.17% of the contract value.
  • We don’t accept 'B class' meters and their readings — they don’t accurately record the full flow rate.
  • It’s illegal to use a neighbouring water supply for building work.

Find out more below.

safe spaces
Together we can end domestic abuse