Top of main content

Planning your works


We follow the process set out in the New Roads & Streetworks Act 1991 (NRSWA) and its code of practice. The code of practice has several stages and each stage must be complete to progress to the next. Here’s everything you need to know if you’re a Highway Authority carrying out roadworks in a street.

Planning your work

If you’re a qualifying highway authority as defined in the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991 (NRSWA) and carrying out road works or major highway works in the street, we’ll share the costs of diverting our assets if they’re affected by your work. We’ll also share the costs of diverting our assets in streets if you are a bridge authority carrying out major works on a bridge or a transport authority carrying out major works.

Please refer to the guidelines for working near our pipes if you're:

  • A developer carrying out works under Section 106 of the Town & Country Planning Act or Section 278 of the New Roads & Street Works Act, as a condition of receiving planning permission from a local/regional council.
  • A developer constructing/modifying access roadway to a development site, including vehicle crossovers.
  • A local/regional council developing or modifying council-owned sites or land, such as estates, offices, garages, access roadways and vehicle crossovers.
  • A railway operating company or infrastructure provider developing or modifying railway premises, such as stations, offices and depots.
  • A bridge owner for a structure which crosses or carries a unadopted highway.
  • A utility company laying new assets or modifying existing ones including adopted highways.
  • Transporting abnormal height loads or engaged in heavy vehicle movements that could affect our plant or apparatus.