We want to help as many customers as possible when it comes to managing their water bill. The WaterSure and WaterSure plus schemes assist customers who are either on a low income or are on a water meter and use lots of water due to factors such as having a large family or having a water-dependent medical condition.
Qualifying for WaterSure Plus
The WaterSure Plus scheme is our social tariff that gives low-income households a discounted rate on their water bill. For customers applying this year 2019-20, the discount is 50%. A low income is considered below £16,105, increasing to £19,201 if you live in a London borough, due to higher living costs. In order to qualify, we will need to do some data checks to verify your income and ensure eligibility.
Qualifying for the WaterSure scheme
The WaterSure scheme caps qualifying customers’ water bills to an average price, based on what other customers pay. For this year 2019/20 that’s a total of £398 and if you use less water than the average, you will pay lower than this amount.
To qualify for the scheme, you will need to be on a water meter and either you or someone in your household must be in receipt of certain benefits, tax credits or have a qualifying medical condition. If you feel you can qualify, we will also ask you to supply evidence such as copies of a benefits statements or medical reports.
Qualifying benefits for WaterSure
- Child Tax Credit (receiving more than the family element)
- Housing Benefit
- Income-based Job seeker's Allowance
- Income Support
- Pension Credit
- Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit
- Be responsible for 3 or more children under 19 (and receiving Child Benefit)
Qualifying medical conditions for WaterSure
- Abdominal stoma
- Crohn's disease
- Desquamation (flaky skin disease)
- Eczema, psoriasis or varicose ulceration (weeping skin disease)
- Ulcerative colitis
- Renal conditions requiring home dialysis (except where the NHS makes a contribution toward water costs)
- Any other medical conditions that require extra water
Applying for the WaterSure schemes
There are several ways you can apply for either WaterSure Plus or WaterSure schemes including downloading an application form here;
After completing your form, please send it to:
Extra Care Services Thames Water
PO Box 508
- Email our Customer Services team with your name, address and contact number and reference ‘WaterSure or WaterSure Plus application form’ in your email.
- Call us on 0800 980 8800 (Lines are open 8am–8pm Monday to Friday, 8am-6pm Saturday and are closed on Sundays and bank holidays)
- If you are deaf or hard of hearing, please use our textphone service on 0800 316 9898 (Lines are open 24 hours a day. Voice calls or mobile numbers are not accepted via this number)
- If you’d like to talk through how to apply or need further information about anything, call our Extra Care Services Team on 0800 009 3652 (Lines are open are 9am-5pm Monday to Friday)