WaterSure Plus

We understand that paying bills can be a worry, particularly if you are struggling with money.

WaterSure Plus reduces bills by 50% for qualifying customers, whether you have a water meter or not and regardless of who sends you the bill.

Check if you qualify

To qualify, you need to answer YES to parts 1 and 2 below.

We suggest you have details of your yearly gross and net household income, benefits and water bills to hand. It will also be useful to have a calculator available. Remember you can ask for help from a trusted friend or relative if you need it.

Yearly gross household income

All money coming into the household from all sources, before any deductions have been made.

This number is always larger than the yearly net income number.

Yearly net household income

All money coming into the household from all sources, after any deductions have been made.

This number is always smaller than the yearly gross income number.

Deductions include:

  • All Tax and National Insurance
  • All Housing costs such as Mortgage or Rent
  • Council Tax Benefit or Housing Benefit
  • Attendance or Disability Living allowance
  • Personal Independent Payment

1. My water bill is 3% or more of my yearly net household income

If your water bill is lower than 3%, you won’t qualify for WaterSure Plus.

Use the following calculation to work out if your water bill is 3% or more of your yearly net household income:

(Yearly water bill divided by your net household income) multipied by 100

For example, a customer with an yearly water bill of £500 and a yearly net household income of £10000 would be have a result of 5%.

(500 divided by 10000) multiplied by 100 = 5%

This means their water bill is more than 3% of their yearly net household income, so they would meet the first qualification criteria.

2. One or more of the following applies to me:


My yearly gross household income is less than £16,105 and

  • Someone in my household is aged over 62 or
  • Someone in my household is registered disabled or
  • Someone living with me has parental responsibility for a child aged up to 5


Someone in my household receives one or more of these benefits:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Pension Credit
  • Universal Credit
  • Child Tax
  • Income Based Job Seekers Allowance (JSA)
  • Income based Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

How to apply

Email us or call us to request an application form, or print your own application form and post it to us.

Email us

Email your name, address and contact number to customerservices@thameswater.co.uk and we’ll send you an application form in the post.

Include: ‘Please send me a new WaterSure Plus Application form’ in the subject line.

Call us

Call our dedicated line on 0800 980 8800 and we’ll send you an application form in the post.
Lines are open 8am–8pm Monday to Friday, 8am-6pm Saturday and are closed on Sundays and bank holidays.

If you receive your water bill from another water company and want to talk to someone about applying, please call your water company directly.

If you are deaf or hard of hearing, please call our textphone service on 0800 316 9898.
Lines are open 24 hours a day. Please note, voice calls or mobile numbers are not accepted via this number.

If you need more information, or you’d like to talk through how to apply or whether you might qualify - please call our Extra Care Services Team on 0800 009 3652.
Lines are open are 9am-5pm Monday to Friday, closed weekends and bank holidays.


Print your own application form

Download, print and complete the form below. Then send it back to us in the post.

WaterSure Plus application form (0.97MB)

WaterSure Team

Thames Water

PO Box 508


SN38 2TX

If you don’t qualify

Learn more about getting help to pay your bill, or download our handy guide.

Affinity water customers

If you receive your bill from Affinity Water, please download the appropriate form below and return it to the address you’ll find inside.

Also in this section

Water Direct scheme WaterSure scheme Customer Assistance Fund