Our path to a new world of water
In 2021, we launched our eight-year turnaround plan. Our aim is to always deliver brilliant customer service and environmental performance – they are the biggest priorities for our turnaround plan.
The three focus areas of our plan remain the same: fix the basics, raise the bar and shape the future.
Fixing today and building resilience for tomorrow
We’re acting now using our expertise to solve urgent problems in three areas including our network, environment, and our customer experience. As well as putting plans in place for 2050 and beyond.
Upgrading our water network
Investing an additional £700 million between 2022 and 2025 to upgrade hundreds of miles of pipes, using innovative technology to minimise disruption for you. Take a look at our key projects.
Taking steps to future proof the network for the next 100 years, along with finding and fixing over 1,300 leaks per week. We have over 200 teams working round the clock. That’s one leak every 7.5 minutes! Find out how we're tackling leaks.
Detecting thousands of leaks in customers' homes with smart meters to give you more control over your water use. By controlling your water use, you're helping to make every drop count and saving money too.
Improving our long-term impact on the environment
- Doubling our network investment to £1.6 billion in the next two years and upgrading over 200 sewage treatment works as well as many kilometres of sewer pipes. This will help improve local river health and ensure a dependable service for you.
- Protecting our much-loved rivers by working on a range of river health projects to upgrade our network.
- Reducing spills in the tidal Thames by 95% by taking over the Thames Tideway Tunnel, which is the biggest spills reduction project ever.
- Working collaboratively with communities, farmers, fishermen and other water companies to help local rivers thrive. By working together, we can achieve so much more. View our smarter water catchment programmes.
Providing a better customer experience
- Supporting 53,000 more customers over the next year with our affordability schemes, totalling £110 million for 384,000 people who need our help the most. Find out more about our Priority Services.
- Bringing call centres back to the UK to answer your calls quicker than ever. This has helped reduce complaints by 43% in the first six months of 2022-23.
Our latest advertising campaign features Otis the otter, a Thames Water customer keen to understand what we're doing to look after his precious water.
In the ad, he meets some of our Thames Water team to find out how we’re maintaining and upgrading our pipes, for now and the next 100 years. Take it away, Otis...