Apply for payment matching
Our Customer Assistance Fund can help you to clear your debt if you’re struggling to pay previous water bills.
How does the scheme work?
If you qualify, we’ll match any money you pay towards your water debt, pound for pound.
You’ll need to pay your current water bills, as well as making an affordable payment towards your debt each month.
If you maintain regular payments for two years, we’ll pay off any remaining outstanding debt at the end of the scheme. It’s a long-term commitment on both sides, but we hope that by making smaller regular contributions, you’ll be free of water debt after two years and your water bills will be more affordable going forward.
Do I qualify?
To help those most in need, and make sure those joining the scheme can stay on it for two years, we use detailed qualifying criteria.
To qualify, you’ll need to:
- have at least £120 outstanding debt on previous bills (dated before 1 April 2020)
- be responsible for your own water bills rather than them being paid by a landlord, housing association or someone else
- have an active Thames Water account, receiving bills from us on an ongoing basis
- be able to afford your current and future bills and pay them by Direct Debit
- commit to making contributions of at least £5 per month towards your debt over the next two years
- be willing to share your income and outgoings so we can assess your ability to pay
- consent to your data being used for checks or to place you on other financial schemes that help reduce bills
You won’t qualify if you:
- are a non-household customer, such as a landlord or housing association
- receive your water bill from a different company
- only have current water debt from bills dated after 1 April 2020, or debt less than £120
- have received a Customer Assistance Fund lump sum grant in the year before your application
- have successfully applied to this payment matching scheme in the past three years
- have already agreed a litigation payment plan with us
We know this scheme won’t be right for everyone. For example, you may just about manage to pay your water bills, and we really appreciate that. But we also don’t want you to worry, which is why we offer a number of other financial support schemes that may help you.
You’ll need to share information about your income and outgoings, so please have this ready before starting your application.
Is the scheme right for me?
Before you apply for the scheme, it’s important to make sure it’s right for you. Here’s some more information to help you decide:
How much will I pay each month?
What happens if I miss a payment?
Do I have to apply online?
What happens if my application isn’t successful?
Can I get more support?
How helpful was this page?
Thanks for your feedback!
Please select a rating