Top of main content

WaterHelp and WaterSure

If you’re finding it hard to pay your bills, we want to do all that we can to help.

We’ve designed our WaterSure and WaterHelp schemes to lighten the load on households in need of extra support. This includes low-income households, households with large families and those who have a water-dependent medical condition.

A customer speaking on the telephone

What’s WaterHelp?

If you live in a low-income household, we may be able to discount your bill through WaterHelp.

If you qualify, we currently offer a 50% discount on your whole bill. This amount may change in the future.

We consider households earning below £16,480, or below £20,111 in London boroughs, to be on a low income. In order to qualify, we’ll need to check your details and verify your income. You can find out more about how we look at your income on the back of the application form.

What’s WaterSure?

If you’re on a water meter but finding it hard to save water because you have a large family or water-dependent medical condition, we may be able to cap your bills through WaterSure.

We always use the average price based on what other customers pay. For this year (2022/23), for example, we’d cap your bills at £423. If you already use less, you’ll keep paying less.

To qualify for the scheme, someone in your household:

  • Must receive a means-tested benefit (see full list below) AND
  • Must have a medical condition that requires extra water OR
  • Three or more children under the age of 19 living at the property making you eligible for child benefits

How do I apply?

Please download and fill out the relevant application form:

After filling out your form, please send it to:

Extra Care Services
Thames Water
PO Box 508
SN38 2TX

You can also scan or take a photo of the completed form and email it to

To discuss your options, get more information, or ask us to send you a form, please call our Extra Care Services team on 0800 009 3652 from 8am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.

If your hearing or speech is impaired, you can contact us using Relay UK.