Top of main content

Arranging leak repair

When you have a leak on your property, you must fix it within four weeks of finding it, or us reporting it to you. This is to protect our water supply and the environment.

Confirming a leak 

You may receive a letter or email from us advising you that we've identified a leak at your property. Whether you find the leak or we do, it's your responsibility to arrange repair within four weeks. 

How to arrange repair

Check your cover

With any leak at home, the first thing you should do is check your home insurance or emergency policy. If applicable, your insurance company will help you arrange and cover the cost of leak repair. 

Find a plumber

If you aren't covered, you must arrange repair yourself. We recommend using one of our WaterSafe approved plumbers. 

Find a WaterSafe plumber

If you decide to use your own plumber, we may come out to check that the leak has been fixed properly. We'll charge you for any further repairs we carry out, if their work doesn't meet our standards. 

If you don't fix a leak

If you don't arrange repair within four weeks, we may serve you with legal notice under Section 75 of the Water Industry Act 1991. This gives us the power to carry out and charge you for repair works. At this point, we’ll no longer be able to cover all the costs of the leak on your bill, if you're on a meter.

See our leakage code of practice for further information.

Help and advice

Get in touch if you need any advice or assistance. We want to help you resolve the problem so our supply and environment are protected. If you've registered for financial support or priority services, we may be able to help. 

Check leak responsibility if you're not sure who owns your pipes.