Fraudulent callers often pretend to be from your water, gas or telephone company to gain entry into your home under false pretenses.
In order to prevent this from happening and to keep you safe, we operate a reliable doorstep password scheme open to all our customers. We also regularly seek guidance from the UK water industry distraction burglary protocol to make sure we’re doing everything we can to protect our customers.
Registering with our doorstep password scheme
Please call our dedicated line on 0800 316 9800. Lines are open 24/7.
When registering, you’ll be asked to provide your name and address, and to state a password of your choice, no longer than eight characters in length.
Once you’ve registered, any future callers claiming to be from Thames Water must be able to quote your password before you let them in.
If they’re unable to provide you with a correct password, please restrict them from entering your property and call us immediately on 0800 316 9800 (Minicom/Textphone service for the deaf or hard of hearing: 0800 316 9898).
Therefore, if you’ve set up a password on your account, always make sure that the operative can quote your password upon home visit or even by phone call before continuing. This is so you can always be confident that you’re in safe hands.
We would never ask you for your password, so to keep your account secure please keep it to yourself.
Emergency text messaging service
We do offer a 24-hour emergency text messaging service for customers who are deaf or hard of hearing.
Please send your text to 07747 646779 and include your name, address and issue. We will not answer calls on this number, but will pick up texts and respond by text only.
Confirming a genuine caller
A genuine caller is always happy to confirm their name and which company they are from.
You can identify a genuine caller, as:
- They always carry an identity card and will automatically show it to you
- They will quote your personal password (if you’ve set one). They often wear a uniform with the company’s sign or logo on it
- Their car or van may show the company logo
- They’re happy to wait outside whilst you call to confirm who they are. If in doubt, please call us on 0800 316 9800 (Minicom/Textphone service for the deaf or hard of hearing: 0800 316 9898, 24 hours a day)
Carefully check the identity of callers at your door
If the caller doesn't have an identity card, then please send them away.
You can check the card to see whether:
- The photo on the card shows the person standing at the door
- The card is out of date
- The card has been tampered with in any way
- The card has an address on the back
- The card has the phone number for customer services: 0800 316 9800 (If in doubt, call the number displayed on the card and ask to speak to a Thames Water member of staff. The staff member should be able to confirm who and why they’re at your door. If the person on the phone can’t verify who is at the door and their reason for being there, then we do advise that you don’t allow entry)
If you're unsure, don't open your door
If you’re still unsure, don't open the door. You must feel absolutely comfortable with anyone you allow into your home.